Thursday, April 26, 2012
Georgetown Palace Theatre Expands Facilities
To accommodate the Georgetown Palace Theatre’s growing education program and as possible future performance space, the Palace Board has leased two suites within easy walking distance of the theatre. The two suites are at 216 and 218 West 8th Street in downtown Georgetown, just a half-block off the square, and located adjacent to the alley behind the Palace. The two suites are connected by an 8 foot archway. Formerly occupied by Johnson Interiors (for 33 years), the suites are well suited for the Palace’s program needs with approximately 3200 square feet of space. Plans are in the works to clean up and update the building, which dates back to 1923, making these suites two years older than the Palace Theatre (built in 1925).
The owner of the building, John Hoyt, thought of the Palace when he heard the suites were going to be available. Mr. Hoyt was also the owner of the building just behind the theatre which became the Palace’s first expansion, affectionately named “The Tin Barn,” which was leased by the Palace Board in 2005, purchased in 2007, and renovated to become the pre-production space for the Palace, greatly enhancing the theatre’s capabilities. Expectations are high for the suites on 8th Street, as well, especially for the Palace’s burgeoning education program. Spring Workshops 2012 (Adult’s & Children’s Series) have been very well attended, and Summer Workshops 2012 are in full sign-up mode showing exceptional early totals.
To further the growth of its popular and successful education program, the Palace expects to occupy the new space as quickly as permitting will allow. Plans are being discussed by the Palace Board and Productions regarding use of a portion of the space for performances.
The Historic Palace Theatre is located at 810 South Austin Avenue in downtown Georgetown and is part of the most beautiful Town Square in Texas!