in association with the Rude Mechanicals and the Fusebox International Theatre Festival proudly presents
The Breaking String New Russian Drama Festival
at The Off Center 2211 Hidalgo Street, Austin, TX 78702 (click for map)
January 28th through January 31st
Thanks to support from the Center for International Theater Development and its director, Philip Arnoult, Breaking String is proud to host two of Russia’s most important contemporary playwrights: Maksym Kurochkin and Olga Mukhina.
All Festival events, except performances Flying, are free and open to the public. Join us!
Friday, January 28
- 8:00 PM: North American Premiere of Flying by Olga Mukhina, translated by John Freedman.
Saturday, January 29
- 12:30 PM: Discussion on New Russian Drama. Panelists: Olga Mukhina and Maksym Kurochkin
- 2:00 PM: Panel Discussion: New Russian Drama in Context. Panelists from the University of Texas at Austin: Elizabeth Richmond-Garza, Thomas Garza, and Seth Wolitz
- 4:00 PM: Staged Reading of YoU, by Olga Mukhina, translated by John Freedman. Directed by Liz Fisher
- 8:00 PM: Flying by Olga Mukhina, translated by John Freedman
Sunday, January 30
- 1:00 PM: Discussion of the Center for International Theatre Development's New Plays for Russia Initiative, with CITD Director Philip Arnoult
- 3:00 PM: Staged reading Repress and Excite, by Maksym Kurochkin, translated by John Freedman. Directed by James Loehlin.
- 8:00 PM: Flying by Olga Mukhina
Monday, January 31
- 6:00 PM: Austin Scriptworks Panel Discussion on new play development in Russia and the United States. With Scriptworks Director Christi Moore, Olga Mukhina and Maksym Kurochkin.