From the Statesman's Austin360 Seeing Things blog of November 22:
By Jeanne Claire van Ryzin | Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
National Endowment for the Arts chairman Rocco Landesman recently announced the latest round of grants from the federal agency to organizations and individual writers across the country. Some 863 awards totaling $22.54 million and encompassing 15 artistic disciplines and fields were awarded.
Austin area arts groups received seven grants. Texas netted 29 for a total of $653,000.
The Austin grants are:
- Austin Film Society, $20,000 for its curated film and video series.
- Badgerdog Literary Publishing, $7,500 for the publication, promotion, and distribution of the quarterly journal American Short Fiction.
- Blue Lapis Light, $10,000 for the creation and presentation of a site specific aerial dance, titled Swan Nebula, choreographed by Sally Jacques
- EmilyAnn Theatre Inc., $10,000 for Shakespeare Under the Stars, a summer youth theater program for high school students.
- Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance, $10,000 for Celebrando 2012: Bomba de Loiza with Los Hermanos Ayala.
- Tapestry Dance Company, $10,000 for the 12th annual Soul to Sole Tap Festival.
- Vortex Repertory Company, $15,000 for the creation and presentation of “The Elementals: Water,” an original theatrical work with music and dance, conceived and directed by Bonnie Cullum, an original score by Chad Salvata and choreography by Toni Bravo.