Saturday, December 17, 2011

Poste Restante, The Secret Agents, Salvage Vanguard Theatre, December 15 - 17



Poste Restante (www.the-secret-agents.com)



I went up to Tim Gallagher after the Secret Agents' first run-through at the Salvage Vanguard on Thursday, congratulated him and asked, "What's the hidden message?"

I know: wrong question. But I couldn't help myself. I'm a narrative theatre guy, analyst, reporter, decipherer of mysteries. And I'd known a fair number of secret agents in my former career, even though I was in the overt diplomatic service, not the covert service.

Tim gave me a grin. "We just like to have fun!"

Spoken like a true secret agent, without a trace of guile. So you can puzzle over it as much as you like after you've experienced the multidimensional fun of Poste Restante ("dead letter office") by Tim Gallagher and Bonnie Duncan. There's a message in there; in fact, there are many messages in their post office of the mind. But they're largely wordless, expressed in an ever-surprising modulation of mime, physical comedy, contortion, ballet, puppetry, music and video projection.

No comments:

Post a Comment